Frequently Asked Questions

Please thoroughly read this page for a list of commonly asked questions and the answers regarding seminars and the registration process. If you still have questions, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page.

New officials must be 12 years old by December 31 of the current year to register with IHOA for the upcoming season.

How do I get games to officiate?Once you have become a certified USA Hockey official in the State of Illinois through seminar attendance, registration, SafeSport training (17 and older as of Dec 31 of current season), and screening (18 and older), you should go to: Assigning Website and request a password.

Once You Are Registered, you can:
 - View available games to officiate on line
 - Fill out game reports for game misconducts, etc.
 - Fill out incident reports
 - Rate the team's conduct and coaches
 - Review your own evaluations
 - View your officiating schedule
 - View your partner and their contact information before your game
 - Modify your personal information, e-mail, and telephone info
 - Contacting a scheduler by email or phone call is the best way to get started officiating.

AHAI Assigner is responsible for scheduling the Metro High School league, the Chicago Catholic League, many Tier 2 travel organizations, various NWHL House League Clubs, and all AAA hockey. If you are new to officiating, please be patient as well as persistent. Most of our younger officials are also players with busy schedules. Coordinating playing schedules and refereeing schedules takes some time and effort. Your refereeing credentials last from the day you become certified until November 30th of the following year.

I would like to become a hockey referee. How do I join IHOA?Thank you for your interest in joining the Illinois Hockey Officials Association. Seminar dates and locations are posted at Registration opens July 1ST 2022. The website contains a detailed description of the registration process plus much other information. To become an official, you must be 12 years old before December 31st, of the current year. The first step in becoming an official is to register with USA Hockey as an official (that is separate from your player’s registration). The second step is to register with IHOA. You will need to select a seminar that you must attend and complete the required USA Hockey Officiating modules and tests.

How do I check my USA Hockey Registration status or test scores?Your USA Hockey status can be checked online at Click the link at the top of the page “Create Profile.” Once a profile is created you will be able to view all registration requirements when you log in to your profile.

I am a new Level 1 official. What do I need to bring to the on-ice seminar?Level 1 officials need hockey skates (no goalie skates) and a hockey helmet with VISOR attached. Bring a pen/pencil and paper for taking notes. Referee attire is not required. Wear loose comfortable clothing such as sweats or warm-ups so you can easily change into your gear for the ice session. You may NOT wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts. Pads are not required but you are welcome to wear them. Bring your printed PDF form after you completed the IHOA registration. Remember, NOBODY is allowed to enter a seminar LATE. Show up Early!!

I am a Level 2, 3, or 4 official who just moved to Illinois from out of state. Why can I register only for a Level 1 seminar?Since you are new to our area, our system does not know that you are eligible for Level 3. Please contact the registrar at We will manually put you into the Level 3 seminar of your choice. Also, be sure to notify USA Hockey that you have transferred to the Central District. They will switch your record over, and we will then get your correct eligibility in the next download from Colorado. Contact Helen Fenlon at USA Hockey at and advise the particulars.

I registered last season and took the seminar and test. Do I have to do it again this year?You must register separately with USA Hockey and IHOA each year and attend a seminar.

I took a few years off. Do I have to start at Level 1 again?We are always happy to have officials return to the USA Hockey Officiating Program after some time away from the program. Because of your past experience with our program, you may be able to register at a higher level than Level 1, depending upon the level at which you were last registered. As a rule, officials may take one season off (unregistered or incomplete) without forfeiting their current status, except for Level 4. If, however, an official is off (not registered or incomplete) for the previous seasons, they must apply for registration one level lower (except Level 1) than that of the last season completely registered. To apply for a higher level, contact the Central District R-I-C.

I missed my seminar. Can I get my money back?Because you took a seat at the seminar that someone else could have used, we will not refund your money. Our strict policy is that we do not refund registration fees for no-shows that do not advise us in advance. You may change to a future available seminar by accessing the website, and click “Change my Seminar.” A $10.00 credit card payment is required.

I cannot make it to the seminar I signed up for. How can I change to another seminar?You may change your seminar by accessing the IHOA website at Pick “How to Join IHOA” then "Change Your Seminar." Follow the directions and you should get to the Seminar Selection page after making a credit card payment of $10.00.

I have tryouts on the day of my seminar (or I have practice, a birthday party to attend, a bar mitzvah, a funeral, etc.). Can I leave early?No. Everyone must stay for the entire seminar. We do not make any exceptions to this rule. Please change to another seminar that you are certain you can attend. If your hockey schedule prevents you from attending a seminar, chances are that it will prevent you from officiating as well. Note: Seminars have different start and end times, check carefully.

I missed the last seminar of the season. Can I apply my dues to next year?Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do for you at this point. We do not refund registration fees for no-shows that do not advise us in advance. You will have to register again for next year and pay the prevailing dues at that time.

I went to a USA Hockey seminar out-of-state. How can I referee in Illinois? Why do I have to pay the IHOA fee?You must join IHOA to referee in Illinois. Our annual fee represents your membership dues and not simply a seminar admission fee. Go to the IHOA website at Pick “How to Join IHOA”. Make a credit card payment for the IHOA dues amount. On the seminar selection page, select “OUT OF STATE DUES ONLY: NO SEMINAR PROVIDED” for your appropriate level.

Can I get a new manual and situation handbook? How about a rulebook?Electronic copies of all manuals and the rulebook are available at Hard copies will not be given at any seminar. On rule change years, you will get the rulebook when you apply to USA Hockey. If you are a returning official, you will get a new rulebook on a non-rule change year.

My seminar is not for a few weeks, what should I be doing?While waiting to attend your seminar, access your USA Hockey profile and complete other required portions of your registration process. While you can complete requirements in any order, the recommended order is: background screen (if required), online video modules (available June 1), open book exam (available on June 1), and SafeSport (if applicable).

I just got my card and crest. How do I get games?Once you have become a certified USA Hockey official in the State of Illinois (by completing both registrations with USAH & IHOA, seminar attendance, SafeSport training (17 and older as of Dec 31 of current season), and screening (18 and older)):

  1. Go to the Assigning Website and request a password. Follow the instructions about how to get a password.
  2. To search for games online, you will have to sign up with the Officiating Services site, which operates the online assignment system.

Question regarding registration with IHOA? Complete the following information

Evaluate an OfficialComments about an official will go to IHOA and will be reviewed.
Submit Referee Report

Request GamesThe following portal is not managed by IHOA, but the local assigning affiliate of Illinois.
Request USAH Games under AHAI

Submit an ACHA Incident ReportPlease use the following word document to report game misconduct and disqualification penalties.
ACHA Incident Report Document

Amateur Hockey Association IllinoisPlease use the following link to be kept up to date with our local USAH affiliate.

Illinois hockey officials association

comments and questions about the IHOA website to