***IHOA Registration open July 8, 2019***
Steps to becoming a USA Hockey official:
To completely register with USA Hockey as an official you need to complete the following each year:
FIRST step to complete:
USA Hockey Membership Registration:
- Go to USAHockey.com. At the homepage you will click on “Become a Member” in the upper right corner and register as an Ice Official. This is where you will provide USAH with your information for their database and pay your annual membership fee (no affiliate fee for IHOA through this portal).
2. Once you are registered, you will receive a confirmation email within 24-hours. A copy of the USA Hockey Playing Rules & Casebook (new officials and Rule Change Seasons only) will be sent to you within a week, along with some additional information to help you along with the registration process.
3. Open Book Exam: Go to the “Open Book Exam” page at the OFFICIALS section of USAHockey.com and follow the steps to begin your online exam. It’s designed to allow you to go at your own pace. You may answer all questions at once, or answer ten questions every day until it is completed. Please review all answers before submitting it to the National Office. The exam will be accessible 24-hours after online registration, and we strongly encourage you to wait until you receive your Rulebook and attend your seminar (see below) before attempting to take the test.
- Returning officials: You will receive an email giving you information (including your USAH Officiating Number) relating to completing your online “Open Book Exam.”
- New officials (1st season): You will receive an email with information to complete your online “Open Book Exam;” you will NOT have a USAH Officiating Number at this time.
4. Online Education: Once registered with USA Hockey, you will receive instructions regarding the online Officiating Education module program. These modules are a mixture of required and elective topics that teach fundamental skills of officiating using video examples, animation, and knowledge-based testing. You must complete your required hours of training to receive your card and crest. You can access the Online Modules under the OFFICIALS tab at USAHockey.com.
*** SafeSport Training (if 18+ years old): All officials who are 18 years-of-age or older must complete the United States Olympic Committee SafeSport training program. This online based program trains coaches, officials, and key volunteers in detecting and preventing detrimental behavior (hazing, abuse, etc.) off the playing surface. Once completed, the training certification is good for two years before re-certification is required. This training must be completed in addition to your USA Hockey Local Affiliate Background Checks. SafeSport training can be completed by using the SafeSport link under the OFFICIALS tab at USAHockey.com
ILLINOIS HOCKEY OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION (IHOA) REGISTRATION:
- Register for the in-class seminar : http://ihoa.com/registration/
Any questions not found on the FAQs page should be directed to the